Quantcast

Traumatic Brain Injury

Have you tried cannabis or CBD oil?

Like a football player, I have a TBI caused by multiple concussions over a short period of time (about a year), and am only figuring it out much later (15 years), having received no treatment or therapy during or since injuries. My concussions were from domestic abuse.

So I researched what football players are doing. More contentious then than now, some were using cannabis. The intriguing part was that the theory was that even 15 years later, some of my symptoms are caused by inflammation still present in the brain. Cannabis helps with inflammation.

Has anyone tried it? Did it help any of your symptoms?

0 Likes

Hey Natasha
Yes, I have and yes in some ways it has helped but for some people with brain injuries it’s not a good idea. I have previously worked with some people with BI and the use of cannabis triggered some emotional turmoil for them. They could have periods of time with such clarity and have no issue when consuming cannabis, but by the same accord they could have periods when it triggered what was deemed to be a psychotic episode. So it can have such hugely differing effects.

Now in saying that, it has assisted me to reduce the amount of pharmaceutical concoctions within my dietary intake. I have been on all sorts of meds and then more meds to counteract the side effects of the original meds. I was up, I was down, I was a damn mess with all the meds I was being prescribed. Cannabis has assisted me to cutback on the pharmas. Now don’t get me wrong here, canna has not meant I’ve been able to eliminate the pharmas, not at all. But I’m certainly not taking them at the same rate as previous nor as recommended.
There are many strains of cannabis, each with their own levels of each cannabinoids and trying to find which strain may be of the best benefit to you can be a challenge. Also I have to say here cannabis has not been the wonder drug that some people may profess it to be. Has it helped ? Yes. But calling it the wonder drug would be a huge stretch of the truth. I still find I have the need for pharmaceuticals.
So that’s my opinion anyway.

Merl from the Moderator Support Team

0 Likes